The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics champions the values expressed in the Mission Statement of Loyola University Chicago and seeks to promote in its student-athletes the spirit of searching for truth, pursuing excellence and living for others which characterized St. Ignatius of Loyola. Accordingly, it is the mission of the department to encourage positive attitudes in its student-athletes and to motivate them to be "the brightest and the best" in physical fitness, academic development, religious commitment and moral character.
Loyola University Chicago is a Jesuit, Catholic university which encourages all students both to participate in their own religious heritage and to develop personally their religious commitment. Part of the Catholic tradition is a great reverence for all transcendent religions, not just those that have Christian origins. As a result, placing one's experience within a religious framework is a feature of the student-athlete's life at Loyola. The department seeks to fulfill this mission by providing opportunities for its student-athletes to:
- Acquire a strong sense of pride, sportsmanship and personal integrity.
- Experience the positive effects of teamwork, an appreciation of diversity and a strong sense of loyalty.
- Recognize the benefits of hard work, patience and perseverance in both winning and losing.
- Carry forth into the community the values gained from the competitive experience and the academic opportunity provided by the university.
Consistent with the mission to foster the physical, intellectual and moral development of its student-athletes, the department directs its activities to:
- Inspire all members of its community to strive for academic and athletic excellence.
- Recruit student-athletes with high moral character and academic competency, and provide them academic and personal support through graduation.
- Encourage student-athletes to develop all dimensions of themselves-intellectual, emotional, physical, creative, moral and spiritual.
- Help students to integrate their athletic, academic and social experience with their religious commitment.
- Provide support to enable all programs to compete at the highest possible level.
- Assist student-athletes in achieving their academic and career goals through the use of support services.
- Select and retain staff members with a strong sense of integrity, who support the department's mission and goals, and serve as role models for the student-athletes.
- Affirm Loyola's commitment to justice by supporting and upholding the principles of gender equity, minority opportunity, and racial and ethnic diversity among staff and student-athletes.
- Establish and enforce standards of conduct for all student-athletes and staff which will project a positive image for the university.
- Provide athletic entertainment and generate enthusiasm for students, faculty, alumni and friends of the university, and produce revenue from their support to help defray the cost of men's and women's intercollegiate athletic programs.
- Increase public awareness of Loyola's athletic and academic achievements, and affirm the values and goals of the university.
- Comply with the rules and regulations set forth by the Horizon League and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
Through its mission, the department promotes the following principles of student-athlete welfare: Loyola University Chicago is committed to the NCAA by laws which state that the intercollegiate athletics program shall be conducted in a manner designed to protect and enhance the physical and educational welfare of student-athletes.
- Overall Educational Experience. It is the responsibility of each member institution to establish and maintain an environment in which a student-athlete's activities are conducted as an integral part of the student-athlete's educational experience.
- Cultural Diversity and Gender Equity. It is the responsibility of each member institution to establish and maintain an environment that values cultural diversity and gender equity among its student-athletes and intercollegiate athletics department staff.
- Health and Safety. It is the responsibility of each member institution to protect the health of and provide a safe environment for each of its participating student-athletes.
- Student-Athlete/Coach Relationship. It is the responsibility of each member institution to establish and maintain an environment that fosters a positive relationship between the student-athlete and coach.
- Fairness, Openness and Honesty. It is the responsibility of each member institution to ensure that coaches and administrators exhibit fairness, openness and honesty in their relationships with student-athletes.
- Student-Athlete Involvement. It is the responsibility of each member institution to involve student-athletes in matters that affect their lives.
As a Loyola student being educated in the Jesuit Catholic tradition, I promise to...
Care for Myself
I promise to strive for excellence in all that I do. I will embrace opportunities for leadership, challenge myself academically, and seek experiences that will positively influence my personal development. I will honor the good in myself by being honest, compassionate, and respectful.
Care for Others
I promise to recognize that each individual person is valuable and has a unique perspective that contributes to the growth and development of all. I will respect the individuality of others regardless of appearance, ethnicity, faith, gender, ability, sexual orientation, or social standing.
Care for Community
I promise to acknowledge and celebrate diversity. I will contribute my talents, gifts, and ideas to strengthen the community. I aspire to be a person for others committed to working toward a more just world.