Ramblers Play Home Opener Against St. Ambrose
Jan. 11, 2013
CHICAGO – Men’s volleyball returns to Gentile Arena this weekend, hosting St. Ambrose on Saturday, Jan. 12 at 7 p.m. The Ramblers look to continue their home opener streak, having never lost the first home match in program history.
SCOUTING THE BEES
- St. Ambrose returns two-time All-American Kyle Schwertz who served as a key player on the 2012 squad, posting 2.08 kills/set, 0.63 blocks/set and leading the team with 43 service aces. The Bees are ranked fourth in the NAIA Men’s Volleyball Preseason Top 10 poll after finishing runner-up at the NAIA National Invitational Tournament last season.
- This is the first time the Ramblers and Bees have met.
THOMAS THE TANK
- After being named the 2012 Chicago Player of the Year in high school, Thomas Jaeschke is already proving to be a force at the net for Loyola. Playing in all three matches at the ASICS Invitational, the Wheaton, Ill. native collected 27 kills and six total blocks. Jaeschke played a key role against Cal Baptist, leading the Ramblers on a set two charge, to help them to a 25-17 win over the Lancers in their first set win of the year. The freshman also led the Ramblers in the final match against UC Santa Barbara, notching a match-high 12 kills.
FEELS LIKE HOME
- Loyola is 17-0 in home openers and looks to keep the streak alive this weekend against St. Ambrose. The Ramblers have been largely successful at home, collecting a 217-47 all-time record when hosting. Loyola hopes to continue its winning tradition, playing in the Gentile Arena for a second season.
- Shane Davis carries a 186-75 overall record heading into his tenth season as head coach of Loyola, making him the winningest coach in program history. With three MIVA Coach of the Year awards (2005, 2006, 2010), two regular-season championships (2005, 2006) and six 20-win seasons, Davis looks for his 200th win during the 2013 campaign.
NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK
- The Ramblers welcome six newcomers to the 2013 squad. Freshmen Nicholas Olson, Peter Hutz and Trevor Novotny hail from Wisconsin, playing together on the West Allis Lightning club team and winning the 2010 and 2012 USAV Junior National Championships. Also joining the team is the 2012 Ohio Volleyball Player of the Year, Owen McAndrews, 2012 Chicago Player of the Year, Thomas Jaeschke, and a member of the 2008-10 Puerto Rico National Team, Diego Rodriguez.
- League coaches voted Loyola second in the MIVA Preseason Rankings as the Ramblers received 54 points and one first place vote for the 2013 season. Lewis was voted to finish first while Ohio State was third.
- Juniors Dainis Berzins, Joseph Smalzer and Peter Jasaitis were named to the MIVA Preseason All-Conference Team with Jasaitis being named the Libero of the Year. It is the second time Smalzer has been recognized with MIVA Preseason honors and a first for Berzins and Jasaitis. Loyola and Lewis led the MIVA with three players named Preseason All-Conference.