Loyola Hosts Carthage on Wednesday|
Jan. 15, 2013
CHICAGO – Riding the momentum of last Saturday’s win against St. Ambrose, Loyola hopes to continue finding success as it hosts Carthage on Wednesday, Jan. 16 at 7 p.m. After posting a season-high 10.5 team blocks and earning their first win in 2013, the Ramblers are ready for their next challenge, returning to Gentile Arena before heading to the East Coast for a three-game road trip.
SCOUTING THE RED MEN
- Carthage returns two starters from last season after finishing second in the NCAA Division III Championship and collecting a 29-6 overall record. AVCA All-Americans Pat Barry (3.37 kills/set, .313 hitting percentage) and Connor Wexter (11.21 assists/set) lead the 2013 squad, which welcomes back 13 players and eight newcomers. The Ramblers are 10-0 all-time against Carthage, taking last year’s match in four sets (25-19, 22-25, 25-16, 25-22).
FEELS LIKE HOME
- Loyola is 18-0 in home openers after defeating St. Ambrose (1/12), 3-0. The Ramblers have been successful at home, collecting a 218-47 all-time record when hosting.
NOT YOUR AVERAGE JOE
- Joseph Smalzer paces the Ramblers after four matches in the 2013 season. A 2012 AVCA All-American, the redshirt junior has tallied 41 kills (3.15 kills/set) while tying for a team-high three service aces with Jeff Patton. Switching gears and focusing on defense, Smalzer posted a team-high eight digs against St. Ambrose (1/12).
THE STEEL CURTAIN
- The Ramblers have worked hard to win the battle at the net this season, closing their match against St. Ambrose (1/12) with a season-high 10.5 total team blocks. Eric Daliege leads Loyola with 11 total blocks (1.00 blocks/set) while true freshmen Nicholas Olson (1.17 blocks/set) and Thomas Jaeschke (.58 blocks/set) tally seven total blocks each.
- Shane Davis carries a 187-78 overall record in his tenth season as head coach of Loyola, making him the winningest coach in program history. With three MIVA Coach of the Year awards (2005, 2006, 2010), two regular-season championships (2005, 2006) and six 20-win seasons, Davis looks for his 200th win during the 2013 campaign.
THOMAS THE TANK
- Freshman Thomas Jaeschke has made an immediate impact on the Ramblers, collecting 33 kills (2.75 kills/set) and seven total blocks (.58 blocks/set) this season. A Wheaton, Ill. native, Jaeschke was a key player for Loyola during the ASICS Invitational, notching a match-high 12 kills against UC Santa Barbara (1/4) and leading the Ramblers on a set two charge to help the team to a 25-17 win over Cal Baptist in the first set win of the year.
NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK
- The Ramblers welcome six newcomers to the 2013 squad. Freshmen Nicholas Olson, Peter Hutz and Trevor Novotny hail from Wisconsin, playing together on the West Allis Lightning club team and winning the 2010 and 2012 USAV Junior National Championships. Also joining the team is the 2012 Ohio Volleyball Player of the Year, Owen McAndrews, 2012 Chicago Player of the Year, Thomas Jaeschke, and a member of the 2008-10 Puerto Rico National Team, Diego Rodriguez.
- League coaches voted Loyola second in the MIVA Preseason Rankings. The Ramblers received 54 points and one first place vote for the 2013 season. Lewis was voted to finish first while Ohio State was third.
- Juniors Dainis Berzins, Joseph Smalzer and Peter Jasaitis were named to the MIVA Preseason All-Conference Team with Jasaitis being named the Libero of the Year. It is the second time Smalzer has been recognized with MIVA Preseason honors and a first for Berzins and Jasaitis.
RAISING THE BAR
- The Ramblers had five newcomers recognized to Volleyball Magazine’s 2012 Fab 50 Recruits. Freshmen Trevor Novotny, Nicholas Olson, Peter Hutz, Owen McAndrews and Thomas Jaeschke were all tabbed as top incoming collegiate players. USC and UCLA were the only schools with more than five selections.
THE NEW BERLIN WALL
- New Berlin, Wis. native Nicholas Olson joins the Ramblers after playing with the U.S. Junior National Team in August, when he helped the United States to first place in the North, Central American and Caribbean Volleyball Confederation (NORCECA) Men’s Junior Continental Championship. Olson ranked among the top 20 best scorers in the tournament, taking fifth in the Best Blockers category.
FORESEEN AND FORETOLD
- Two players earned preseason recognition as Joseph Smalzer and Peter Jasaitis were named 2013 Off the Block Preseason All-Americans. Smalzer was selected a Preseason First-Team All-American leading the MIVA and ranking sixth in the nation with a 0.49 aces per game average last season. Jasaitis earned second-team honors, leading the MIVA and ranking second in the nation with a 2.73 digs per game average.
TALK OF THE NATION
- For a second consecutive season, Loyola was ranked No. 10 in the AVCA Division I-II Preseason Coaches Poll. The Ramblers are one of three MIVA teams to debut in the preseason rankings. Lewis was tabbed No. 5 and Ohio State No. 11.
- Loyola took its talents off the court, raising money for “Movember,” a month-long event that raises awareness for men’s health. By sporting moustaches throughout November, the Ramblers were able to draw attention to men’s health, raising $8,843 to rank in the top 250 teams nationwide.